Barcelona Gipsy Balkan Orchestra (BGKO) an international ensemble of musicians based in Barcelona has become a reference with their genuine reinterpretations of traditional music from the Balkans, the Middle East and the Mediterranean shores, attracting crowds of all ages and ethnicities.
Textures and timbres are finely mixed in the service of each song, from evoking emotions accordingly to a frenetic trance rhythm. BGKO is music that goes straight to the heart. A unique sound made by the varied artistic influences of its members.
So far, more than 40 countries visited and a loyal fan base on BGKO YouTube channel (with more than 180.000 followers and 90M views ).
The group itself blends the different artistic influences .-of its members, enriched and shaped by Barcelona’s vibrant musical scene: from traditional Catalan, Greek, Italian, Russian and Middle Eastern songs to the vital vibes of jazz manouche and rockabilly.
After celebrating their 10th anniversary in 2022 , in 2023 they are presenting new original songs that will end up in a long-awaited 7th album.
Margherita Abita Vocals (Italy)
Julien Chanal Guitar (France)
Ivan Kovacevic Double Bass (Serbia)
Albert Martín Muñoz (aka Albert Enkaminanko) Percussions (Spain)
Pere Nolasc Turu Violin (Catalonia-Spain)
Fernando Salinas Olcoz Accordion (Basque Country-Spain)
Oleksandr Sora Violin (Ukraine)
Xavier González Ranchal (aka Xavi Pendón) Clarinet (Catalonia - Spain)
Barcelona Gipsy Balkan Orchestra has successfully performed live in front of international audiences:
- Porgy & Bess, Viena (Austria)
- Klarinet Festival, lstambul (Turkey)
- International Gipsy Festival, Tilburg (Holland) Festival Tres Cultt;Jras, Frigiliana (Spain)
- Kolarac, Belgrad (Serbia)
- Novosadska Sinagoga, Novi Sad (Serbia)
- Notte della Taranta, Melpignano (Italy)
- Festival Jazz in The Park, Cluj-Napoca (Romania) Castel Sant Angelo, Roma (Italy)
- International Platonov Art Festival, Voronezh (Russia) Donau lnsel Fest, Vienna (Austria)
- International Music Festival Imago (Slovenia) Jazztage, Dresden (Germany)
- Nordland Theater, Mo i Rana (Norway)
- lnternationales de la Guitare, Montpellier (France)
- Teatre Gree, BGKO featuring Bora Dugic &.Boban Prodanovic, Barcelona (Spain)
- Hiroshima Mon Amour, Torino (Italy)
- Palau de la Musica, Barcelona (Spain)
- L’Auditori de Barcelona (Spain)
- Sala Apolo, Barcelona (Spain)
- Kalnciema iela, Riga (Latvia)
- GamsbART, Graz (Austria)
- Wiener Metropol, (Austria)
- Turnhalle, Bern (Switzerland)
- Meb Sura Hall, Ankara (Turkey)
- Piccolo Teatro Grassi, Milano (Italy)
Nova Era (2020)
"NOVA ERA" is the first album of a truly new era marked by the addition of Margherita Abita, the Sicilian singer who has given new strength and unity to the project.
Avo Kanto (2018)
Avo kanto means “grandfathers songs” in Esperanto, the only language capable of expressing the diversity of their band.
Avo Kanto is the continuation of a journey that started two years ago with “del Ebro al Danubio”. Plenty of concerts, places, people, musicians, and moments that still move us, gave birth to the songs on this album. Nearly all are traditional songs, interpreted throughout time, and passed down through generations while never losing their power to evoke the deepest feelings of the human being. Today these songs rise again, touching us deep in our hearts and souls.
Del Ebro al Danubio (2016)
Europe Closes The Border OST (2016)
Balkan Reunion (2015)
Since its creation, BGKO gathers a faithful and ever-growing fan base in social media, with more than 10.000.000 plays of their videos on YouTube.
Show them respect if you like their music and follow #BGKO on social media