Barcelona Gipsy balKan Orchestra (BGKO) an international ensemble of musicians based in Barcelona which is awakening the interest of audiences all over Europe through their genuine reinterpretations of traditional music from the Balkans, the Middle East and the Mediterranean shores.
Barcelona Gipsy balKan Orchestra (BGKO) is the evolution of the Barcelona Gipsy Klezmer Orchestra, which in three years turned into a referral of the roots music made in Barcelona achieving a notorious international exposure.
The unique and contemporary sound of the BGKO comes from their passionate and relentless exploration of sounds and timbres from the romani, klezmer, balkan and mediterranean music. All understood as a set of musical traditions and multi ethnic cultures which go beyond any geographical boundary, nurtured by the imprints of the different peoples who inhabited these lands.
The group itself blend the different artistic influences .-of its members, enriched and shaped by Barcelona’s vibrant musical scene: from traditional Catalan, Greek, Italian, Russian and Midle Eastern songs to the vital vibes of jazz manouche and rockabilly.
A music that goes straight to your heart...Without tricks!
Their music is a reflection of the diversity of the musicians' home countries, which include Catalonia, Spain, Italy, France, Serbia, Greece, and Ukraine, as well as Barcelona's vibrant music scene.
performing their very unique reinterpretations of Balkan, Middle Eastern and Mediterranean music, mixing traditional songs with Jazz manouche, or gypsy jazz, and rockabilly.
Starting from November 2015, BGKO evolves: after so much intense work and growth, we are responding to the urge to expand our artistic horizons. While we remain very interested in Klezmer music, we also want to gather inspiration from a wider spectrum of genres. Balkan music is, for us, a set of musical traditions and multiethnic cultures that surpass geographical confines, drawing on the historical traditions that have forever inhabited these lands: Ashkenazi and Sephardic Jews, Gypsies, Ottomans, Arabs…
Opening new music views, BGKO music can change your life!
Sandra Sangiao - vocals (Catalunya,Spain)
Sun, soul and energy of the band
Mattia Schirosa - accordion (Italy)
Brain, vision and craziness of the band
Julien Chanal - guitar (France)
Tireless jam session man, kindness and creativity of the band
Stelios Togias Darbuka, Bendir, Cajón, Davul, Riq, Tzouras (Greece)
Rhythmic engine, best driver and wild man
Ivan Kovacevic - Double Bass (Serbia)
Heart, wisdom and strength of the band
Daniel Carbonell - Clarinet (Catalonia,Spain)
Klezmer sound, elegant clarinetist and photographer
Oleksandr Sora - Violin (Ukraine)
Classical style, refined hearing and virtuoso
Barcelona Gipsy balKan Orchestra has successfully performed live in front of international audiences:
- Porgy & Bess, Viena (Austria)
- Klarinet Festival, lstambul (Turkey)
- International Gipsy Festival, Tilburg (Holland) Festival Tres Cultt;Jras, Frigiliana (Spain)
- Kolarac, Belgrad (Serbia)
- Novosadska Sinagoga, Novi Sad (Serbia)
- Notte della Taranta, Melpignano (Italy)
- Festival Jazz in The Park, Cluj-Napoca (Romania) Castel Sant Angelo, Roma (Italy)
- International Platonov Art Festival, Voronezh (Russia) Donau lnsel Fest, Vienna (Austria)
- International Music Festival Imago (Slovenia) Jazztage, Dresden (Germany)
- Nordland Theater, Mo i Rana (Norway)
- lnternationales de la Guitare, Montpellier (France)
- Teatre Gree, BGKO featuring Bora Dugic &.Boban Prodanovic, Barcelona (Spain)
- Hiroshima Mon Amour, Torino (Italy)
- Palau de la Musica, Barcelona (Spain)
- L’Auditori de Barcelona (Spain)
- Sala Apolo, Barcelona (Spain)
- Kalnciema iela, Riga (Latvia)
- GamsbART, Graz (Austria)
- Wiener Metropol, (Austria)
- Turnhalle, Bern (Switzerland)
- Meb Sura Hall, Ankara (Turkey)
- Piccolo Teatro Grassi, Milano (Italy)
Avo Kanto (2018)
Avo kanto means “grandfathers songs” in Esperanto, the only language capable of expressing the diversity of their band.
Avo Kanto is the continuation of a journey that started two years ago with “del Ebro al Danubio”. Plenty of concerts, places, people, musicians, and moments that still move us, gave birth to the songs on this album. Nearly all are traditional songs, interpreted throughout time, passed down through generations while never losing their power to evoke the deepest feelings of the human being. Today these songs rise again, touching us deep in our hearts and souls.
Del Ebro al Danubio (2016)
Europe Closes The Border OST (2016)
Balkan Reunion (2015)
Since its creation BGKO gathers a faithful and ever growing fan base in the social media, with more than 10.000.000 plays of their videos on YouTube.
Show them respect if you like their music and follow #BGKO on social media